Ever aware of the constant changes and demand for power, SLG is shifting Gas to Power by spearheading discussions about Combined Heat and Power Plants. These plants produce both useful mechanical energy and useful thermal energy from a single system. As a result mechanical energy electricity can be geneated or be used directly as shaft energy bringing forward Cogeneration (combined heat and power) and Tri-generation (power, heating and cooling).
The benefits of a Combined Heat and Power Plant are listed as follows:
- Can be used for electrical peak shaving.
- Less dependance on the grid (load shedding), No PPA required.
- Improves system efficiency (as compared to typical power generation without useful heat recovery).
- Improves system reliability and availability (when CHP is used as a primary and utility system used as a back-up source).
- Reduce total operating costs (compared to purchasing or generating electricity and heat energy in separate systems).
- Hedging against future energy costs and reduces total emissions.
Gas supplied by SLG to customers is used for the following applications:
- Metal manufacturing or processing – heat treatment, melting, forging, preheating, curing and galvanizing.
- Chemicals – steam generation and heating.
- Food and commercial (food technologies) – steam generation, baking, frying, oil heating, water heating, space heating and cooking.
- Ceramic and non-metals – heating, baking, curing and glass melting.
- Manufacturing – painting, curing, air heating, injection moulding, melting and steam generation.
- Paper processing – generating steam for drying purposes.
- Thermic oil heating – heating chemical products that cannot be heated directly.
- Boilers – generating steam for heating and drying.
Gas: Pure energy that’s clean, safe, simple and sustainable. It’s tomorrow’s energy, today.